Friday, December 24, 2010

Health Update - 24 December 2010

Dear Friends,

Firstly, I want to wish all of you a Merry Christmas! It's going to be a real celebration in our home. Many experts had me passing away in my sleep in December and not seeing 2011 at all.

Tracey and I were reflecting on the start of 2010 and how our world was turned upside down. As we think about 2011, I'm asking that the LORD would grant me time to meditate; pray; hang with Tracey and the kids; just enjoy each day for the beauty and opportunities each moment brings. So many things in my world that seemed significant and important have lost their sparkle. At this time, I still will have to watch the stress levels as well as the the physical exertion.

Let me update you on how I'm doing. Since returning for Melbourne, I've had one agenda: Rest and recovery. Good ole' R & R. For the most part, it's been pretty successful, not doing too much, but slowly incorporating a little exercise and a few more activities into my routine. Also, I had a dietician who told Tracey, "Let him eat whatever he wants. Don't worry about it. If he wants, let him have it."

• I asked you to pray for my appetite. Well, it's improving daily and I've added several kilos to my weight since I last wrote.

• I've asked for wisdom and I believe that Lord has been guiding me in this recovery process.

• I asked for strength that I might be well enough to travel to the US. On Dec. 31, the Johnston family will be boarding a plane bound for Dallas, TX, home of my parents. We're top of the list to be able to upgrade our points to Business class seating for the long flight over the ocean. The Doctors have given me the all clear and letters for Qantas have been prepared. It's looking good. I'm looking forward to seeing tons of friends and family in Dallas as I'll be staying on to the end of the month of January.

• I still need prayer as the radiation continues to burn inside me. Dr. Feigen and others have suggested that three months is a reasonable time frame before entering into the testing phase to see what has been accomplished. Tracey and I are praying that when the results do come back early in 2011, we're going to be told that I'm cancer free in the left lung and that the right lung remains clear as well.

I was speaking with a good friend as we reflected upon the profundity of Ephesians 3. In verse 10, Paul writes concerning us, His people, the Church, "His intent was that now through the Church the manifold wisdom of God should be made known to the rulers and authorities in the heavenly realms." This is saying that the things I'm going through are witnessed, not only by those on earth, but also by those in the heavenly. How I conduct myself should reveal how great and wise Our God is! Reflecting on this motivates me to follow Christ all the more.

Have a blessed holiday!

Thank you for your on-going prayers and concern. God is at work; I'm just along for the ride.

Blessings,
Graham

2 comments:

  1. We open our hearts unto Thee, our Father, and pray that Thy Spirit may indwell each one of us and give us poise and power. We believe in Thee, O God. Give us the faith to believe what Thou has said. We trust in Thee, O God. Give us the faith to trust Thee for guidance at this time and in this hour. May your precense and peace and love surround this family and glorify Your name. For Jesus' sake Amen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just received Mike's email update to say you were hospitalised over the weekend. I pray that God's direction for your life will become increasingly clear and that the ride will smoothen out. Best wishes and may you continue to find peace in the New Year.

    ReplyDelete