Saturday, August 14, 2010

Health Update - 14 August 2010

Dear friends,

I've been reflecting on my health journey which began in earnest on June 1st. When first diagnosed, Tracey and I had to find ways to absorb words like "terminal"; "palliative care"; "inoperable". Initially, the dark weight threatened to tip us into despair. One of my responses was a simple prayer: "Lord, all I ask for is a fighting chance. Would you grant me a fighting chance to beat this illness?" When so many in this world are told the word, mesothelioma, it comes as a death sentence, followed by the words, "Go home and get your affairs in order."

I sit here now and marvel that God has provided me, not only with a fighting chance, but with treatment options, some of the world's best medical options. Through networks and existing relationships, God was going ahead of me long before I ever even dreamt of a rare cancer. I can't tell you how humble and grateful I am to the Lord. In Psalm 40, David writes, "I waited patiently for the Lord; he turned to me and heard my cry." Out of what David describes as "the slimy pit", (The Lord) gave me a firm place to stand." God's grace and mercy continues to amaze me.

I'm currently nearing the end of my second cycle in what is a six cycle treatment totalling 18 weeks.

In the coming week, I'll receive a CT scan to mark the progress of the CD-40 trial. Obviously, we're praying for a positive outcome.

The second chemo treatment coupled with the CD-40 infusion really rocked me this past week, but praise God, I'm doing so much better now.

As I enter this treatment period which represents a calm in the storm, here's how you can pray for me.

  1. I'd like to put some weight back on; pray that I'll be fully capable of eating healthily and exercising every day.
  2. I'd like to be productive and get some writing done, particularly with my good friend, Martin Sanders, in town.
  3. Pray that I'll create the space for meditation; biblical reflection; and soul rejuvenation daily.
The Lord has granted me the fighting chance I asked for; however, I must never forget, my hope lies not in my strength; discipline; or relative youth, but in the Lord. Please, keep me in your prayers.

Yours in Christ,

Graham

No comments:

Post a Comment