Friday, July 9, 2010

Health Update - 9 July 2010

Greetings friends,

It's been over one month since I was first diagnosed and it continues to seem unreal in so many ways. I don't do unhealthy well. When I checked in to the hospital for my first surgery, the nurse commented that I had the shortest medical history she had ever seen. As result, we're all on a steep learning curve.

I'm officially in the clinical trial for the experimental chemo called CD-40 and I was hoping that I would be able to commence it this week but I've been notified that I'll have to wait until July 14th. The first course of chemo will pretty much take all day as they'll administer it and keep me in for observation for the remainder of the day. It's been wonderful having my parents here with me. My Dad comes along with me to all these annoying tests and meetings (initially they always presume that he is the patient, not me.) It's the simple pleasures of just being together and hanging out that can be the most satisfying.

So, I'm asking that you would pray that this brand new, super duper chemo will do the trick. Historically, chemo has not worked well on mesothelioma but the preliminary tests in mice were very encouraging. If the chemo can shrink the cancer that will open some doors to pursue other treatment options down the road.

In the meantime, it seems I spend most of each day eating. Sounds great, right? Not the stuff I have to eat. What I can't eat could fill the Encyclopaedia Britannica and what's left is pretty ordinary. I'm losing weight with the cancer and the one thing that all my doctors can agree on is that I must keep my weight up going into chemo. So that's another prayer point: Strong in body; mind; and spirit.

Another wonderful residual from my illness has been hearing from friends all over the world, many that I haven't heard from in decades. I'm getting a little nostalgic in my old age so hearing from longtime friends acts as a rich tonic.

Today I spent most of my day taking scans, both CT and a PET scan. I'm keen to see the results because the first one will show if my eating and immune therapy has slowed the cancerous tissue growth; the second scan will indicate how widely spread the disease is within my body. Pray for favourable results in both scans.

Lastly, I learned something about myself early in this process: I can't live without hope and the idea of sitting around waiting to die doesn't work for me either. So, every day, I'm looking to the Lord, asking Him for courage and strength to endure what I must. Today, during the scans and the waiting around on my back, I sang songs in my head like "O Lord, Our LORD, how majestic is your name"; "I make my life a prayer to you"; and "Father, I adore you". I spent hours reciting Scripture verses and asking that whatever the outcome that God would be glorified.

At times my eyes well up with tears, they're tears of joy, not sorrow. The loving people God has brought into my life; the prayers being offered up around the world; the incredible life God has allowed me to lead; at times I feel overwhelmed by His goodness.

If this is my cup, by God's grace and strength, I will drink it. I will take it praising God for such people as yourselves who share in my journey.

Let's see where the Lord takes us all. To Him be the glory in all things.

Blessings in Christ,

Graham

No comments:

Post a Comment